Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Uzumaki (Spiral) and Roasted Beef Sammies... At least dinner was good.

Welp, they can't all be good.

The other night we watched Uzumaki (Spiral) and had roasted beef sammies with potato wedges.

This film is based on a pretty popular manga of the same name... basically a town is haunted by spirals.

Yeah, let me move on to dinner and we'll get back to the movie in a bit.


I wanted to make beef tenderloin sandwiches but my local supermarket didn't have any beef tenderloin.
So I grabbed a beef round roast, not my first choice, but if you know how to prepare them, they can come out really tasty.

Ron approved of the final product.

What you'll need:

1 beef round roast
oil to coat
salt and pepper
rosemary

Heat your oven to 450 and prepare the roast.
Toss the roast in bowl with the oil, salt, pepper and rosemary.

Roll it around a few times to get all the seasonings even.
Then brown the roast on all sides in a hot pan.

Brown = FLAVOR!

After you brown the roast on all sides, place in a baking pan and put in the hot oven. Let it roast for 20 minutes at 450 and then turn the oven off. Let the roast sit in the oven for 10 minutes a pound for rare/med-rare and 15 minutes a pound for medium. Then remove the roast from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before slicing so that all the juices redistribute evenly.

For the potato wedges I just washed two baking potatoes, cut them into 8 wedges each and tossed in the same bowl I used for the roast. I added more oil, rosemary, salt, pepper, dill and paprika and then just mixed them to coat.

I baked them at 450 for 20 minutes on a greased sheet pan, then turned them and let them go until they reached my desired level of crispyness.

I don't reccomend using your fingers to flip your potatoes - after years of working in restaurants I have asbestos fingertips.

After the potatoes were done and the roast had rested, I made up the sammies.

First I mixed 1 stick of softened butter with 5 ounces of crumbled blue cheese to make the base.

I spread this base onto a halved loaf of French bread and broiled it until bubbly and slightly brown.

Make sure you spread it on the top and bottom of your bread.

Then I sliced the roast.

Mine turned out more medium... I prefer rare, but as I have mentioned earlier - my oven sucks. It was still delicious, tender and nomtastic despite its unintentional over-doneness.

Then I just layered the sandwich. I added lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado... whatever you like on your beef is fine.

Served it up with the roasted potato wedges with a little more of the blue cheese butter for dipping... mmmm.

Dinner was yum.

The movie...

OK, so I'll give you Ron's take first... this was another little gem he selected.

The other night we watched the Japanese film Uzumaki.  Basically, this town is haunted by the shape of a spiral. 

 Wow, that seems even dumber when I write it out.

The villagers of the town become obsessed with the shape until they die a computer-generated or badly propped twisted death (no pun intended).  Usually, I can laugh off a bad movie, but this one made me baby-punching mad.  The plot never developed or shed any light on why there was a spiral haunting the town.  One guy figures it out, but dies almost instantly without revealing anything to the viewer. 

 And, where in the hell did they get these actors.  It was the main characters first movie ever.  She had never even auditioned for a movie before.  In the extra features they asked her what her favorite part of the movie is.  She replies, "the school uniform I wore because it was dark red."  You have got to be shitting me!  I realize there is a culture gap between the Japanese and myself, but that is retarded no matter where you're from.  So fuck this movie and fuck the director. 

 If I had to recommend how fucked up to be to watch this movie, I would tell you to go ahead and date rape drug yourself so you won't remember how it held you down and violated you, like it did me.

Thank you Ron for that... that insightful look into this film.  

I really don't have much to add after that glittering review. Ron took the words out of my mouth. I think.

So, yeah, they can't all be good.

Dinner was fab, but wow, that movie really sucked.

We'll be back with Interstella 5555 tomorrow! If you're not aware of it - it's an anime with Daft Punk's - Discovery as the soundtrack and only dialogue! Woot!

And we love the suggestions - keep 'em coming!
Cheers and thanks for reading,
Dani and Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question, suggestion or comment? Let us know!